Saturday, April 9, 2011

Speed Bump #9

I never thought I was a weak person but I've come to realize that most of mt life I have been scared.  I've been scared of failing, of succeeding, of rejection, of acceptance.  But I've also come to realize that most of us are the same way.  I've always been afraid of flying and because of that fear I've gone almost nowhere and seen very little.  I guess the bravest thing I've ever done was to be a parent.  Talk about working on something 24/7 and waiting years for the outcome!  In some cases I imagine we never see the outcome.  It could be generations away.  All I know is my eldest is struggling, we still hold our breath on our middle child, and our youngest broke his nose!  But isn't that life?

I haven't been putting a lot of effort into this blog lately.  I felt that no one was reading it.  Just yesterday, however, a colleague told me she checks in at least once a week.  There was the encouragement I was asking for but at the same time I realize that I should be writing for ME and not for others.  The last couple of days I felt I was lagging farther behind at work.  Not putting all my effort in or unable to do so.  But once again I am my own worst critic.  I was reminded of this when I was off one day the other week and my assistant said how behavior in our most hormone driven 8th grade class was totally off without my presence.  And then my dean reminded me that "I was his hero."  So I am learning at this late stage of my life to let go, accept things as they are and to always give a little bit of yourself along the way.  I won't always succeed but I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are still blogging. It's been quite a hectic month as you know ... so I just checked in again today.

    Write for yourself ... but know that what you write impacts us. Your quiet strength is awe-inspiring for so many. Know that you make a huge difference each day in so many lives.

    ReplyDelete