Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Speed Bump #7

Last Wednesday I went to the ER via an ambulance.  I had gone to work as usual but as the day went on I kept coughing this tiny, tight, painful cough.  I've had this cough off and on for quite a while now.  When I got home Dennis said I didn't look great (thanks dear!).  I rested in the Lazy Boy and tried to eat dinner but the cough kept occuring.  After calling my OT and her advising Dennis to call 911 since I could have an infection and due to the ALS I was already at reduced lung capacity.  Well guess what?  It was discovered that I have blood clots in both lungs.  While sitting around the ER waiting for decisions to be made, I had an "A-Ha" moment.  My last few blood tests had elivated red cell counts (more red cells for more oxygen) as well as breathing problems/breathi-ness (debris in the lungs), AND being tired (stress on heart).  Everything in the previous parentheses from the doctors.

So while I was NOT happy being in the ER, it seems some good may come out of the visit.  I went home Thursday afternoon, armed with lots of instructions and prescriptions.  I am on 2 blood thinners, one to kick start the other.  One is a shot I have to take twice a day IN THE STOMACH!  What fun!!  At least I only have to take it until the Coumadin levels get to where the doctor wants it.  So now I get to endure comments from Dennis about how it's a good thing there is enough stomach to pinch.  But don't worry.  Payback will be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment