Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Speed Bump #2

I always loved to cook.  A secret dream was to own a restaurant.  So often one child or another would come up to me in the kitchen and ask, "What's for dinner, Mom?"  My answer so often was, "I'm not sure.  I'm not done yet."  Well not only do I not have use of my left foot, my right hand is weak and I am losing muscle in it.  My index finger crooks and so utensils, knives, etc are now hard to use.

Dennis has taken on the task of cooking dinner and sometimes I sit in my wheelchair in the kitchen and "walk him through" cooking dinner.  This past Thanskgiving, Sarah, our 24 year old, was doing the cooking but I wanted to do something.  Eureka!  Go get the old card table and put it between the kitchen and the breakfast area.  Bingo!  Wheelchair was now at table height.  So I was able to do some things to contribute.

Another day I asked Dennis if  he knew if we still had the electric skillet.  The next thing I knew I was making home fries in the skillet on the card table.  The one "drawback" is that I need a sous chef but Dennis or Matthew are more than willing if it means mom is back in the kitchen!  So tonight I gave Dennis the night off and made dinner.  It wasn't me standing at the stove but it was great to get back in the kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. Where there is a will there is a way. Way to go Chef Mlee.

    ReplyDelete