Saturday, January 15, 2011

To anyone interested

I am new to the whole wheelchair community but I am permanent a member.  I have recently been diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's Disease).  It is estimated that I have witnessed the progression of this disease for two years.  All I know is that for the last two years I have gone from tripping/falling, to a cane, to a walker, and now a wheelchair.

The idea of a blog came to me after my first trip to the mall in a wheelchair.  I was struck with how other shoppers viewed my existence and how difficult it was to get in to some of the smaller stores.  I left that first time feeling depressed that I couldn't get into some stores and my 14 year old son had to leave me outside to wait for him to shop.  Horrors!  He'd have to come as close to the doorway that the alarm system would allow him to show me what he wanted to get or how a pair of jeans fit.

In the meantime I was subjected to looks by adults and children alike.  Perhaps I was feeling insecure.  I use to walk all over this mall and now I can't.  Also the ALS has not progressed to where I "look" like I belong in a wheelchair.  You can't tell that I have no use of my left leg below my knee or that I haven't been able to wiggle my toes in two years or ever again!

All I know is I was left with the impression that I was in everyone's way NOT the other way around.  Being pushed around was frustrating to say the least.  Especially when those around you make YOU wait while they pass.

So the idea of this blog is to comment on how our world in spite of ADA regulations is not always handicapped accessible or should I say handicapped friendly.  I will discuss those interesting "speed bumps" those of us in wheelchairs have to maneuver around everyday.  Hopefully with humor but hopefully I discover the speed bumps I put in front of myself.


Mlee

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Mary Lee,
    It was wonderful to hear from you and I am sorry to hear about what is going on. As you said life is full of speed bumps but sometimes they feel more like a roller coaster! I am glad so glad you see the importance of humor .... I know that saved us at work sometimes .....I find it to be a sanity saver...... I always knew you were brave but shopping with a teenager is crazy!

    ReplyDelete